Just a little Farmhouse Zen...

Need a little zen? Grab a big pot and boil together the ordinary, the quirky, the simple, and the sweet. Reduce to a simmer and add a sprinkling of yoga and a dash of country charm. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

"What have you been up to?"



I love moving back to an old, familiar place...everywhere I go, I run into old friends and former yoga students. Each one greets me with a warm hug, a smile, and the same question, "So, what have you been up to?"

What have I been up to? I guess I've just been living life! I've picked up a few new hobbies, explored some rusty, dusty creative talents, and yet I'm still a mom, wife, daughter, and sister. I still have kids and dogs. I'm still married. I still teach yoga. I still don't have time to read and hate to do laundry. I still have less time than I have projects to finish and I'm still just trying to figure it all out!

If I've changed at all in the last few years, I would have to say I focus more on being than on doing. I've always been ready and willing to listen, to pay attention, but now I think I'm beginning to understand what it means to "listen quietly." Funny what you discover about yourself when you listen...

A forever doodler and truly closet artist, I've been experimenting with some ink illustration and have been blessed with great feedback. Most of my work, I've discovered, is what I "hear" when I listen quietly. More importantly, it allows me to express myself in a completely nonverbal way (something this life-long talker has found to be profound), and...well, has its own kind of "zen" and that makes me smile.

This old farm we now call home is full of wonderful inspiration...muscadine grapes growing around the barn, clover crawling up old tree stumps, rabbits (huge rabbits) hidding in the brush around an old creek. My sewing room offers a huge window and just enough space for my yoga mat and art table so I can take it all in, breathe it all out, and enjoy...at least until it's time to do the laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment