Just a little Farmhouse Zen...

Need a little zen? Grab a big pot and boil together the ordinary, the quirky, the simple, and the sweet. Reduce to a simmer and add a sprinkling of yoga and a dash of country charm. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Simple Rhythm...




I love a routine. I love the certainty that each day will begin at about 5:00am and end at about 10:00pm. I love knowing that my cereal bowls are always on the second shelf and that the coffee cups are next to the sink. I love picking up the mail at the post office in the morning after yoga and listening to 70's music while I cook dinner. Simple tasks repeated each day take on their own rhythm...stirring my morning cup of coffee, washing dishes, sweeping the kitchen floor, making the bed. They put the day into perspective, give it context, and make me feel secure. It's this rhythm that connects making bread to paying bills and leaves just enough space to enjoy both.

I did the art work (photo above) as a Mother's Day gift for my mother-in-law, Lisa. She, too, loves a routine. It is hard to see in the photo, but the illustration is captioned saying "Inhale happiness, Exhale peace," a quote familiar to many of my yoga students, as I use it often in class. One breath is connected to the next in a simple, everyday rhythm...unique and familiar connecting what goes on within us with all that is around us.

Currently, we are in the process of moving. I am excited about being back with family and old friends, but my daily routine has been greatly affected and I can't wait to unpack my cereal bowls (they miss their second shelf home, I'm sure). And, although I'm still stirring coffee and washing dishes, my mind feels as scattered as my belongings. So, until I'm settled into my "new" routine, I will remember to breathe deeply and enjoy the simple rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment